Wednesday

Self Care: Day 10~March Writing Challenge

Southern California Sunset*

 Self Care is such a personal term because it really needs to be what you need at that moment. 

Today my self care looks like sitting on the couch with a heavy blanket and my big, heavy dog resting her warm, furry head in my lap and me twirling her long, velvety ears as I catch up on some TV while drinking an espresso that I didn't make.

My self care today also looks like grabbing some food at my favorite local coffeehouse//bakery/grocery store after dropping the kids off at school. There are days where I'm happy to cook and there are days like today that I just need to "hit the easy button" and grab something super yummy and healthy to go. 

My self care today also looks like setting chores aside for the early part of the afternoon while the kids are gone so that I can just take a breath and relax. It will all get done at some point. The when is not as important right now. 

My self care today is to also not be on social media for too long during my "free time" today as that can become a slippery slope of the time going too fast as well as some triggers that can tear down self esteem on many different levels. I have made a point to no longer follow those trigger producing accounts anymore (mostly the influencer-type accounts showing only perfection) because I learned the hard way in my early mom days with a toddler and a newborn and in the throes of postpartum depression that seeing that type of "fake reality" was very bad for my self-esteem and was actually damaging for a while too.

My self care today also includes chocolate. Because chocolate is one of my love languages.

My self care today, as well as everyday, includes me getting all of my daily vitamins because they are key to my energy and to my immunity. 

I think it’s also very important to find small things here and there that can become daily self practices. I’m going to start making a list of all of the things that feel like self care to me as well as healthy habits and practices that I can start incorporating into my daily routine so that I don’t have to really think about getting self care. It will just become a habit. 

What are some of the ways you get self care? Please share below!


Love,

Colleen


~About the March Writing Challenge: I have decided to try to write a blog post a day for 30 days to get back into the swing of being a writer again, which is one of my true loves in this life, creatively speaking. I'm a mom during a pandemic, so we’ll see how it goes! <insert nervous laughter.> Please leave a comment below and tell me where you are joining me from and how you found my blog; IG, Google, FB, Blog follower, etc. Thanks for joining me!~


*The photo above is one I took during a beautiful November evening where the sunsets in Southern California are almost unbeatable! Something about those November skies that takes my breath away! My family will tell you that I am pointing out the evening sky almost daily. When we have a particularly beautiful sunset, I make everyone get up from whatever device they are currently vegging out on, and, weather permitting, I will make everyone come outside and view it with me, or we look through the window. My family now knows the drill when I say, "Hey guys, come look at the sunset!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sending some love! I appreciate it! Please feel free to add a link to your blog in the comments section!

Post Of The Week!

Motherhood: A Poem

back breaking arms aching mind worn out and tired patience gone days are long somedays I wish I could get fired Laundry is piling an ...

Check These Out!